Japanese Voice Actor: Natsuke Hanae (Adult) / Satomi Sato (Child)
English Voice Actor: Zach Aguilar (Adult) / Allegra Clark (Child)
Manga Debut: Chapter 1
Anime Debut: Season 1 Episode 1
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is full of beloved characters; its fandom has increased to match the popularity of Shingeki no Kyojin, which is remarkable. Demon Slayer, launched in 2016 (the manga) and 2019 (the anime), is far more recent than Shingeki no Kyojin, which was launched in 2009 and ended in 2021. Its anime version was launched in 2013, and it is still running.
Tanjiro Kamado is the main character and a Demon Slayer in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is optimistic and always looking for ways to improve his skills. Tanjiro has grown into people’s hearts thanks to this, for being a loving brother and because he truly cares for all living beings.
We see more of that care for the living beings at the beginning of his journey as a Demon Slayer when in the battle with the Hand Demon at the Final Selection and the first demon he confronted, he showed mercy towards them, also when he defeated Kyogai.
Our protagonist, Tanjiro Kamado, is a very kind boy with gentle eyes and a compassionate heart. He has absolute determination and does not give up easily until he has achieved his goals.
Despite being strong, Tanjiro shows to be humble enough to ask for help when he needs it. He is a caring and protective friend, and these personal traits increase with Nezuko.
Tanjiro has a deep sense of empathy, even to the point of empathizing with anyone, even demons, but this can turn into a liability because it makes him hesitate before giving the final strike.
However, Tanjiro believes that the demons who have committed themselves to be evil should be killed with no mercy, but those who regret their actions should not be deprecated after they have died. This shows Tanjiro’s maturity, and his sister’s condition might cause this.
Even if Tanjiro is kind and understanding, he has a limited tolerance for rudeness and cowardice. We get to see this aspect when he gets annoyed by Zenitsu Agatsuma’s whining and by Inosuke Hashibira’s rude and cruel actions.
But underneath this kindness and compassion, there is an intense fire of rage and desire for revenge that we see when he confronts Muzan and when the Mother Spider Demon’s thread snapped the necks of the Demon Slayers that went to the forest to confront her.
Around Muzan, Tanjiro reveals a more scary and cold side of himself, acting more violently against his opponents. Also, Tanjiro’s judgments become more calculated and strict as he acquires expertise throughout the years of his service.
Tanjiro has shown himself to be a powerful warrior with a natural talent for combat, especially with a sword. His enhanced sense of smell, willpower, and exceptional intellect are just a few of his unique skills and senses.
Some of Tanjiro’s unique abilities are:
- Demons Slayer Mark: First awakened during the battle with Upper-Rank Six, Gyutaro, for the second time while fighting Hantengu, the Upper-Rank Four, and then again when he goes against Akaza, the Upper-Rank Three. When the mark is awakened, his speed, strength, and reaction time drastically increase. However, the mark can be awakened on rare occasions and for a limited time because it causes excellent exhaustion in his body.
- Enhanced Smell: Tanjiro has a heightened sense of smell that borders on the supernatural, even before starting his training to become a Demon Slayer. With uncanny accuracy, he can detect the slightest scent and trace its position across huge distances. It is strong enough for him to see the “opening thread,” a brief gap in an enemy’s movement that provides him with an opportunity to attack.
- Bright Red Nichirin Blade: Tanjiro gained this skill after Nezuko Kamado used her pyrokinetic Blood Demon Art to set his blade on fire, giving him an advantage over Hantengu’s clones. Tanjiro gets the power to dye his Nichirin blade a brilliant red hue by himself after almost dying during his second battle against Muzan and subsequently activates it one last time with the assistance of Giyu to force Muzan into a corner and prevent his rapid regeneration.
- Transparent World: By analyzing and detecting his opponents’ blood flow, muscles, skeletal/joint alignment, and organs, he developed the capacity to predict the opponent’s assault, just like his father. His movement intuition and evasion ability both drastically increase in this stage.
- Hard Skull: Tanjiro’s strong skull is as hard as a rock, as pointed out by the Temple Demon. He can headbutt an opponent hard enough to stun or knock them in some instances and, in some cases, even cause their skull to bleed. Inosuke has a delayed concussion due to the full effect of this attack, while Tanjiro gets no reaction. Sanemi Shinazugawa, the Wind Hashira, was likewise headbutted by Tanjiro, causing the Hashira to get briefly stunned.
- Selfless State: Tanjiro learned from his father how to remove his presence from the battlefield, including his fighting spirit, as he achieved the Transparent World. This technique may also be used to disguise one’s desire to kill and hostility, allowing one to battle undetected against opponents who rely on detecting one’s willingness to fight.
- Water Breathing: Tanjiro’s first breathing style before switching to the Hinokami Kagura. Tanjiro believes the last one is more suitable for him, but he became proficient at using water breathing until the point of killing two members of the Twelve Kizuki, Rui, and Enmu. He can perform ten forms of this breathing style and a variant for the second, fourth, sixth, and seventh forms.
- Hinokami Kagura: The Sun Breathing Style or the Dance of the Fire God. He learned this technique from his father, but he did not remember it until his fight with Rui, where he had a near-death experience. This breathing style has thirteen forms and one variant, which Tanjiro managed to master after watching the Thirteenth Form performed by Yoriichi Tsugikuni.
Satomi Satō is a Japanese singer and voice actress; you can hear her voice in a lot of animes; some of her work:
- K-On! as Ritsu Tainaka
- Dragon Ball Z Kai as Cargo
- Fairy Tail as Wendy Marvell
- Seitokai Yakuindomo as Aria Shichijou
- Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya as Andromeda Shun
Natsuki Hanae is a voice actor, YouTuber, and singer and has given his voice to some interesting characters in different animes. He has worked in the following:
- Ace Of Diamond as Haruichi Kominato
- Digimon Adventure Tri. as Taichi Yagami
- Dragon Ball Super as Galactic Patrolman Jaco
- Fate/Apocrypha as Sieg
- Haikyuu!! as Kourai Hoshiumi
- Masamune-Kun’s Revenge as Makabe Masamune
- Odd Taxi as Odokawa
- Food Wars! Shokugeki No Soma as Takumi Aldini
- Tokyo Ghoul as Ken Kaneki
- Your Lie In April as Kousei Arima
Tanjiro is a muscular and athletic young man with an average height of 1.65m or 5’5 feet tall. To add more about his appearance, Tanjiro has tanned skin with black ruffled hair with red tips combed back, exposing his forehead. His eyes are wide and dark red. He has what seems to be a scar at the top left of his forehead, but it later develops into a Demon Slayer Mark.
Something remarkable about Tanjiro’s look is the hanafuda earrings. At first, it was thought the earrings were no more than an inheritance from his father after he passed away. However, we later learned that it is a crucial item that dates back to the Sengoku era and belonged to Tsugikuni Yoriichi, the first user of the Hinokami Kagura, the Sun Breathing Style, also known as Dance of the Fire God.
During his first appearance, Tanjiro is just 13 years old. After the training, by the end of chapter 5, he has turned 15, and by the end of chapter 204, he is around 16 and 17 years old at the end of the story.
Despite his young age, Tanjiro is a great warrior with excellent skills. But this is not the only reason he gained a piece of his fans’ hearts. Tanjiro has a great personality, a heart, and the will to overcome every obstacle, but these are just a few reasons he is so beloved. We get to see him grow from being great to even better at everything he puts effort into improving, and that is something we can admire and learn from him.